Monday, 4 January 2010

Tequila Sunrise ~ a resplendent rose & some vegetable afterthoughts

This glorious rose is a prominent feature in our front garden and the source of much pleasure.  When I pruned it last winter I left it fairly leggy hoping it would grow to a good height, and it has - at present it stands at least six feet tall and is flowering more abundantly than ever before.  For the first time I've managed to get a worthy likeness of it with the digital camera:


I wish you could smell its perfume which is equally beautiful being reminiscent of apricot with a touch of lemon.

It's just as well I have it firmly staked as we've had a lot of wind here lately.  Each day it seems to have come from different points of the compass: yesterday it was from the north and nor' west and very hot, and today it's been gusting to gale force from the south and really chilly.

Today, not feeling much inclined but seeing the need, I went outside at intervals to uproot silverbeet plants which had gone to seed, and with great regret cut the flowery spires out of the rhubarb plant.  These spires have been wonderfully sculptural, but I do want to have actual rhubarb for making those yummy rhubarb and ginger muffins!  I also secured the tomatoes with stakes and string which I'd been putting off for ages.

My disinclination to pull plants out or otherwise interfere with them makes me a somewhat unproductive vegetable gardener, but we generally have enough greens to keep us going, a selection of herbs and some other seasonal vegetables to choose from.

I long for the scope of a bigger garden so that I have the space to indulge my love of flowering plants and shrubs as well as enough room for all the edibles I'd like to grow!  As it is the flowers keep creeping in: this spring I took out a big clump of Shasta daisies to make room for climbing beans, only to replace it with a burgeoning younger bush of my glorious Tequila Sunrise, the product of the only cutting I've ever managed to 'strike' from the parent plant. It had been in a pot and needed planting; I had been wondering where to put it! So the bean frames are flanked by Shasta daisies at each end and embellished by a rose bush in the middle.  I must say they all look beautiful, but it remains to be seen how many beans we harvest!

1 comment:

ElizT said...

I have paler versions of that colour mix, Crepuscule way up and out of reach, and Buff Beauty which has some pink and is struggling in competition with City of York on the rotary clothes line [has not rotated for many years].