Monday, 19 September 2011

Vege fritters ~ for 'vege loading'

UPDATE NOTES AT THE FOOT OF THIS ARTICLE, 28th NOV 2011.
Some of my tastiest cooking is achieved when I'm left alone to make what I can of an odd assortment of ingredients.  I've been a bit lazy about getting my vegetables onto a plate lately and felt the need to catch up.  Also I was hungry and nothing else appealed.  Pumpkin fritters are always nice, but today I decided to pack more goodies into them.  Here is what I used:

Pumpkin - 2 cups of this grated
Onion - half of one, finely chopped
Flour - 4 tablespoons sprinkled over and mixed with the above
Peas - frozen - half a cup
Rocket - a big handful of fresh leaves
Parsley - as for rocket
Salt - nearly 1 teaspoon
Eggs - 3 beaten
Note: total weight of vegetables and herbs prior to adding eggs is 250 grams.

I mixed the flour and veges thoroughly and sprinkled the salt over them.  In a separate bowl I whisked the eggs and then mixed them in.  The mixture became a little gooey, but not too much.  I heated a heavy iron pan to a SLOW heat, added some oil, spooned in fritter-sized portions and patted them down to about a one centimetre (half inch) thickness, then cooked them on one side, then the other until golden brown.  Serve with a little tomato sauce or relish. 

This made ten good-sized fritters and more than enough for two people.  They were as good as I've had anywhere!  

There, I've put it down before I forget it.  Maybe you will enjoy something like this too.

Notes - 1st November 2011:
I've made these twice since then.  I've found that it's important to cook these on a slow heat so that they cook through properly.  The second time I made them the insides weren't quite done, so they were okay but not great.  So when I cooked them again last evening I cooked them slowly and they were excellent!

The ingredients used can be varied quite a bit:
In my most recent batch I made a variation on the above theme, substituting a cup of grated carrot for one of the cups of pumpkin, and putting in about a cup and a half of freshly chopped parsley and rocket, along with a couple of fresh sprigs each of marjoram and oregano.  I really don't care for raw or even partly raw onion, so I sauted the onion until the pieces separated.  Lastly, I forgot the peas - which turned out not to signify.

I've never been that great at fritters, and this feels like a new element in my cookery repertoire - simple, packed with goodness, fairly quick to make, and very tasty indeed!

Notes: 28th November:
I've now made these quite a few times and they have indeed become a firm favourite.  Sometimes I've included a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese, or crumbled in some feta cheese, and all of the herbs and vegetables can be varied, so it's a very flexible and tasty meal, very quick to prepare and uses hardly any cooking gear.

No comments: