Thursday, 5 April 2012

Timaru's Sacred Heart Basilica ~ a visual delight

Every time I drive through Timaru my heart lifts at the sight of the Catholic Basilica - it's such a beautiful building!  The main route north (and south) passes directly in front of it so it's impossible to miss: as one travels along the handsome avenue of mature trees one gets glimpses of its lofty grandeur through the greenery.  Last time I travelled through I made a point of stopping and taking some photographs.  

There was a formal gathering under way and as I didn't wish to intrude I took these photos from a discreet distance.  Here it is approached from the southern side:


 Walking northwards I took these photos:



 A detail of the main dome:


The northern face:


What finer man-made structure could one wish to see above the tree tops?  None!


The Timaru Catholic Church is part of the Christchurch diocese.  I was pleased to find these photographs on their website:
This church, like the Basilica in Christchurch, was built in the Italian Renaissance basilica style, and not surprisingly both were designed by the same architect, Francis Petre, in the late 1800s. 

I have mentioned the Christchurch Basilica, the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in a later article:

No comments: